Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Google Places Its Heavy Hand On Firefox Users - CORRECTED

Google/Blogger has just inserted the following message atop the Blogger dashboard:
Your browser is no longer supported by Blogger. Some parts of Blogger will not work and you may experience problems.
If you are having problems, try Google Chrome.
My browser is Firefox 11.0 for Ubuntu Linux. As it turns out, for my simple needs, Blogger seems to work OK in Firefox 11.0. I have no particular dislike of Google Chrome; I switched back to Firefox a couple of weeks ago because Chrome seemed to have an ongoing disagreement with AdBlock+ on Linux, apparently a memory-related matter, and I wanted a smoother moment-to-moment experience, which I found in Firefox.

At first I shrugged. Then it occurred to me to wonder: is Google using Blogger as leverage to push a totally separate product, namely, its browser? I realize that Google Chrome has increased and Firefox decreased in market share recently, but I have to wonder about the... well, I'll say it, the sanity... of any web development company that would abandon Firefox support at this moment.

Does anybody have any information about this?

CORRECTION: I may be a bright guy, but in some matters I'm as dumb as a brick. While Google Chrome automatically updates to the latest version on its own, Firefox does not... it applies minor-version changes automatically, but newer major versions have to be manually installed. I've done that now, and Blogger works fine now. Thanks to all who left notes.

3 comments:

  1. i haven't gotten that message using firefox to post on blogger. i use firefox 13.0.1 for windows xp on one machine and firefox for mac (i don't know the version number right now) when i post from my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the message either. Using 13.0.1 on my mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I'm as dumb as a rock. I had forgotten that Firefox doesn't automatically install new major versions; I'd gotten used to Chrome's taking care of it for me. Firefox 13.0.1 seems to work fine with Blogger.

    ReplyDelete

USING THIS PAGE TO LEAVE A COMMENT

• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes



(removed)