Saturday, December 21, 2013

What Is Wrong With This Conversation?

Chris Z, Jane's boss (of either sex): Here are your options for our company's medical insurance. Please select one by Tuesday.

Jane X, female employee: Hmm... I want a medical insurance plan that covers contraception. I want to use the morning-after pill. If my husband has a plan that covers erectile dysfunction medication, and we've already had as many kids as we want, I'd better be prepared. I don't see such a plan listed among my options. The Affordable Care Act requires that I be offered that option.

Chris: You can't have it. I am opposed to morning-after contraception on religious grounds. It's my company, and I won't offer a plan that covers that.


Jane: But I'm paying the premium. The law doesn't require you to pay for the plan, only to make it available.

Chris: I won't do it. It's against my religion, and this is a company of God-fearing people.

Jane: But it's not against my religion, and I'm as religious as you are. I'm the one paying for the coverage, not you, and the ACA requires that coverage. It's the law.

Chris: If you persist in demanding something I believe is immoral, I'll take the matter to federal court.

News Report: OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A federal judge granted an injunction Friday that prohibits the government from enforcing the federal health care law's requirement that insurance coverage include access to the morning-after pill and similar contraceptives on almost 200 religious organizations that have filed a class-action lawsuit to block the mandate. ...

Jane: But what about my religious freedom? You're requiring me to abide by the tenets of your religion. There was never such a clause in my contract with you. All I'm asking is that you comply with the law.

Chris: Well, I guess you'll just have to work for someone else. Please pack up your desk. An HR representative will see you to the door.



What is wrong with this conversation? Everything!

(NOTE: Chris and Jane are wholly fictional. The court ruling is not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

USING THIS PAGE TO LEAVE A COMMENT

• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes



(removed)