Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Printing Break

A good friend of mine prepares his mathematical papers for publication using LATEX, the scripting language that drives Donald Knuth's ancient and venerable document preparation software, TEX, and I've decided to learn a bit about it. Fortunately, Ubuntu Linux 10.04 comes equipped with an implementation called TeX Live, and I am exploring various editors, currently leaning toward TeXmaker. There's a respectable survey/introduction to TEX here, and a longer (~150pp) but still introductory online book here (I know you'll enjoy assembling the myriad pieces of this work.) If you're as intrigued by this sort of stuff as I am, that should be enough to get you started.
 
Did I mention... all the software is legally free?
 
Now all I need is a working printer...
 
This may preoccupy me for a day or two; please forgive the sparse blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment

USING THIS PAGE TO LEAVE A COMMENT

• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes



(removed)