Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sen. Graham Bolsters His 'Conservative' (Anti-Choice) Creds, Introduces Abortion Ban Bill

Cracker gestures: to Hell with women!
Sen. Lindsey Graham ("The Cracker", R-SC) has introduced a bill banning abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy, 4 weeks earlier than the 24 weeks guaranteed by Roe v. Wade. If the bill seems familiar, it's because the House radical caucus passed it last year. Susan Erdreich at TPM has details.

Graham calls his bill the "Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act" — a mouthful that tells you (and presumably Graham's base) all you need to know about the bill. What it doesn't tell you is that according to the Guttmacher Institute, as referenced in Erdreich's article, "88 percent of all abortions occur in the first trimester. Of the remaining 12 percent, less than half--approximately 5.3 percent--occur after the 16th week of pregnancy."

Most late-term abortions happen for damn good reasons: the mother's life is at risk, or the fetus's survival chances are nil, or the fetus has severe deformities that could not be determined by tests until the late 2nd trimester. Those late-term abortions that are performed are expensive, risky and difficult to obtain because, thanks to anti-choice laws and court rulings, most doctors will not perform them... so they are sought and performed only because they are urgently necessary.

But that isn't good enough for Sen. Cracker. He has to ban abortions which are constitutionally protected according to Roe v. Wade. For him, as for most of his base, it can only be about establishing his domination over women. If women do not have reasonable control of their bodies, they are not full-fledged equal citizens of the United States. That inequality is exactly what Sen. Cracker and his base seek... and what we must proactively oppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment


• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes