Friday, February 27, 2015

Leonard Nimoy (1931—2015)

Nimoy in 2011
... dead at age 83, of complications of COPD. He was Spock and a whole lot more; I can't think of a single public figure who lived a fuller life. Just look at that works list on Wikipedia! What comes next? I don't know, but Nimoy was still wishing people LLAP ("live long and prosper," a canonical Vulcan greeting) even near the end of his life. If that's possible, Nimoy is just the post-Vulcan soul to do it.

AFTERWORD: Stella likes classic TV. I like Erle Stanley Gardner, in print or in Raymond Burr's fine realization of Gardner's character Perry Mason. Between the two of us, we watch a lot of Perry Mason, and I happened to be watching an episode on MeTV tonight, "The Case of the Shoplifter's Shoe." When the soon-to-be-revealed murderer took the stand, I thought I recognized the actor, but didn't believe my eyes. When the credits rolled at the end, my initial identification was confirmed: yes, it was a very young Leonard Nimoy! His long and prosperous career as Spock notwithstanding, Nimoy was capable of doing just about anything he set his mind to, including hardboiled detective fiction.

3 comments:

  1. I am and always shall be his fan. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, c. (Yes, of course I recognize the reference.)

      Delete
  2. Steve, I had no doubt that you, of all people, would recognize the reference. ;)

    ReplyDelete

USING THIS PAGE TO LEAVE A COMMENT

• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes



(removed)