Sunday, February 1, 2015

News Flash! Grumpy Grandpa But Powerful GOP Senator Doubles Down On Ham-Fisted Insult To Antiwar Group

That would be John McCain (R-Get off MY Lawn) slandering Code Pink, of course, as the byline-free story at HuffPo tells us:
The Grumpy Old Man™
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Sunday that he will not apologize for calling protesters "low-life scum" at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing earlier this week.

"I think they're terrible people," McCain said of Code Pink, the women-led grassroots peace and social justice group that protested the hearing, in an interview on CNN's "State of the Union."

Code Pink brought signs and handcuffs into the hearing to protest the presence of former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, demanding that he be arrested for his role in alleged war crimes during the Nixon and Ford administrations. The protesters objected to the U.S.'s use of the poisonous chemical Agent Orange in the Vietnam War, the bombing of Cambodia and other issues.

McCain, the chairman of the committee, became particularly enraged when a member of the group dangled handcuffs over Kissinger's head. "You're gonna have to shut up or I'm going to have you arrested," McCain said at the hearing. "Get out of here, you low-life scum."

...
I have personally known a few Code Pink members during my own years of protest, and I take personal offense at his statement. Terrible people? Senator, who in HELL are you to judge?

And for the record, though I thought at one time you were among the more moderate Republicans out there, I have been disabused of that notion long since. I think you're a TERRIBLE PERSON.

You may be a superb political savant, and you clearly were a helluva pilot, but you are an utter failure as a human being, and your deplorable slander of one of the signature antiwar groups of our era proves it.

Go to Hell, Senator; you'll fit in just fine there.

2 comments:

  1. Just ask Grampy McCain's first abused wife what is a terrible person.....This senile old reprobate has absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the first wife, Michael. But I know this: I hate it when I am forced to despise my political adversary.

      For America's first couple of centuries, it wasn't that such mean-spiritedness never happened, but rather that it was rare... it was the exception, not the rule.

      Now it is the rule. With Mitch McConnell and John Boehner in charge of Congress, I awaken every morning wondering what basic human indecency they will find to commit against President Obama on that particular morning. And Boehner and McConnell never disappoint me. They'd send the Union to the fiery pit if they thought it served to embarrass or frustrate Obama. And I say that as one who doesn't really like, or even frequently agree with, the President.

      The sheer MEANNESS of today's GOP is easy to see and hard to take. They don't qualify as conservatives: I've known conservatives in my time, and they were not so uniformly badly behaved as today's ranking Republicans. McCain runs to type, and I'm pretty sure he'll never change... it's not a matter of how old he is, because I'm not that much younger. But some people are simply indisposed to be kind or even civil.

      Sometimes I think I've outlived my propensity to find or elicit simple human decency. (Sigh!)

      Delete

USING THIS PAGE TO LEAVE A COMMENT

• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes



(removed)