Sunday, January 17, 2010

Wired-Fi

I'm blogging from the den, sitting with the ancient laptop in the big easy chair, Samantha sitting near me (oops, she moved; I think noncooperation is part of her license agreement)... what scene could be more pleasant?

Well, for example, the wireless router, the wifi card in this laptop, and the wireless driver in Win XP SP3 could all actually work together. When M$ installed XP SP3 a couple years ago, they broke my wifi connection. Three subsequent exhaustive (and exhausting) web searches revealed no fix for this problem, just a lot of people asking the question.

Tonight I took the bull by the shit the horns, dug an ancient 100' Cat 5 cable out of the garage and strung it along baseboards from the office to the den. Yes, it's kind of ugly; I'll spare you a picture of it. But it does enable me to blog from the most comfortable seat in the house, and that's worth something. I could have waited another 3 or 4 years until Mr. Gate$ decided to order the problem fixed, but hey, I could be dead long before he does that...

No comments:

Post a Comment

USING THIS PAGE TO LEAVE A COMMENT

• Click here to view existing comments.
• Or enter your new rhyme or reason
in the new comment box here.
• Or click the first Reply link below an existing
comment or reply and type in the
new reply box provided.
• Scrolling manually up and down the page
is also OK.

Static Pages (About, Quotes, etc.)

No Police Like H•lmes



(removed)